The film is conceived as a fictional dialogue with Cesira, the director’s grandmother, to whom he asks everything he would have liked to know. A testimony to the experiences of these generations of Italian migrants and a tribute to their courage. With poetry, the film gives to this personal story a universal dimension. It is the “nostalgic memory” which connects the elements that emerge in this work, from the original home, a small farm in the shadow of Mount Viso, to the multiple family anchors scattered in Ubaye, Valais, the Rhone Valley, Ariège and Drôme. The story is fed by the memories of the grandfather and traces from the past: photographs or correspondence. During this migratory experience, the Ughetto family improvised a new home, in which memory is the cement.
- Annecy International Animated Film Festival Jury Award, France, 2022;
- Bucheon International Festival, the Main Award, 2022, South Korea;
- European Film Academy Main Award for Animated Movie, 2022;
- Jury Special Award, Cineuropa Award, Audience Award at the Brussels Mediterranean Film Festival, 2022, Belgium;
- International Association of Cinemaniacs nominee, 2023;
- Torino Film Festival Award, Italy, 2023.
- Cartoon Movie Festiwal, Bordeaux, 2019, France;
- Crossroads Animation Film Festival 2021, Paris, France;
- International Film Festival Silk Road, Xi'an, Shaanxi Province, China;
- Locarno International Film Festival, 2022, Switzerland;
- Les Arcs Film Festival, Bourg-Saint-Maurice, France,
- FIAF Animation First Festival, 2022, New York, USA.
After his father and grandfather, Alain Ughetto inherited his passion for tinkering, which he uses in his movies through animation.
In1985, Alain Ughetto won César Award for the best short animated movie „LaBoule”. In 2013, he directed „Jasmine” - a love story taking place in Teheranat the end of the 1970s.
Aftera long period of growth, he returns to tell the story of his grandfather, in the same time picturing many Italian emigrants’ experiences.
2022 - No Dogs or Italians Allowed (animation)
2013 – Jasminie (animation)
1984 – La boule (short, animation)
1981 - L'échelle (short, animation)